Winfield Library logo with address. 0S291 Winfield Road, Winfield Public Library, Winfield, IL 60190. Phone is 6306537599. Fax is 6306537781. Email is Hours are Monday to Thursday, 9 to 9. Friday and Saturday, 9 to 5. Sunday closed.

Library Card Information

Q. How do I get a library card?
A. If you live within incorporated Winfield, the cost of library membership is included in your real estate tax bill. You simply need to bring proof of identity and address to the circulation desk and complete an application form.

Q. How do I know if I live in incoporated Winfield?
A. Check DuPage County's website to see if you are incorporated or unincorporated. Click Address Search, then put in your address. Under Property Tax by Entity, you will see a breakdown of your taxes. If you DO pay taxes to the library, you will see "VLG WINFIELD LIBR" listed as a portion of your property tax.

Q: I live in a newly constructed home or apartment. Am I incorporated?
A. If you live in Trillium Farm, you are incorporated for service from West Chicago Public Library District. Please get your card there and then we may register it at WInfield Library.

Q. What if I live in unincorporated Winfield?
A. If you live in an unincorporated area of School District 200 (Wheaton-Warrenville) or District 94 (Community High School in West Chicago) you may purchase a library card here. Between May 1, 2024 and April 30, 2025, our rate for calculating non-resident fees will be .002367. This fee covers the cost of a card for everyone in your household for one year.

For unincorporated home owners –

  • Present your most recent DuPage County tax bill, or staff can look up your bill on the County website.
  • You must have current identification showing you live at the address on the tax bill.
  • Tax bill must show taxes to either Unit Dist. 200 or Dist. 94
  • Multiply the current year “Net Taxable Value” shown on the bill by .002367 to get the family fee for 1 year.
    • Example: Net Taxable Value = $71,550.00 X .002367 = $169.36

For unincorporated renters (including residents of Ahva Care of Winfield) –

  • You must present most recent rent receipt, lease, or other proof of monthly rent.
  • You must have current identification showing you live at the address shown on the proof of rent.
  • You must reside in Unit Dist. 200 or Dist. 94.
  • To arrive at your card cost, we will multiply ONE MONTH’s rent by .15 (15%) to determine the fee for 1 year.
    • Example: Rent = $900.00/mo. X .15 = $135.00

For unincorporated mobile home park residents-

  • If you rent the trailer, the procedure is the same as that for renters, as shown above.
  • If you own the trailer but rent the land, you need to provide a rent receipt for the land. Then we will use the same renter formula as shown above.


Q. What if I have not yet received a tax bill for my new home?
A. If a you have purchased a new home and have not yet received a tax bill, the fee for this year (May 2024-April 2025) is $278.73.

Q. May I purchase a card for only part of the year?
A. No, we do not issue summer or temporary library cards.

Q. May I get a refund for the cost of my fee card?
A. No, we do not issue refunds.

Q. Are businesses in the unincorporated area eligible for library cards?
A. Unincorporated businesses are eligible for a card by either providing their tax bill and using the standard formula OR by coming to an agreement with the library to provide services to us in exchange for library services. Please contact Director Matthew Suddarth for more information. Call (630) 653-7599 or email the director.

Q. If I own property in Winfield but do not live in Winfield, am I eligible for a library card?
A. Non-resident property owners are eligible for 1 card for the property regardless of how many people may actually own it.

Q. May I use my Winfield Library card at other libraries?

A. Yes, whether you pay for your card through taxes or obtain a fee card, you may use your library card at any library in the state that participates in the reciprocal borrowing program. This includes all public libraries in the Reaching Across Illinois Library System.

Q. What if I lose my library card?
A. You may obtain a replacement library card at the upstairs service desk. There is a $2.00 fee for a replacement card. It is important to report a lost card because your library card has value! We don't want another person using your card and potentially losing or damaging items under your name.

Q. Does the library participate in Illinois Cards for Kids?
A. Yes, we do. The Cards for Kids legislation (PA 101-632) specifies that K-12 students living in unincorporated areas in Illinois who are eligible to receive free or reduced price lunches under the National School Lunch Program, as determined by the Income Eligibility Guidelines established by the USDA, shall not be charged a nonresident fee to use the library. The parent or guardian of the child must provide the appropriate documentation to participate in Cards for Kids.